Tuesday, November 15, 2016

THE PULP CALENDAR: November 15

A beautiful Emmett Watson cover promises some good reading in this 1927 Adventure. The highlights for me probably would be the full-length piece from Harold Lamb, "The Road to Kandahar," and Leonard H. Nason's war story "Down in a Dugout." Regrettably, Georges Surdez only has a nonfiction piece, but "Renegade" is probably entertaining while it lasts. Hugh Pendexter starts another serial and Alan LeMay contributes "The Bells of San Juan," hopefully not a humor piece. Royce Brier, Hapsburg Liebe, L. Paul, Carroll K. Michener, Raymond S. Spears, Joel Townsley Rogers and James Stevens round out the lineup. The Lamb story is available in reprint form but this whole issue is probably worth having.

1 comment:

  1. I read the Pendexter serial, THE SUN CHASERS, back in 1980. My notes say "Five part serial taking place in Nebraska frontier during the 1850's and 1860's. Probably the last Pendexter serial that Arthur Sullivant Hoffman accepted. After he left Adventure the decision was evidently made that Pendexter should concentrate on novelettes instead of novels. Too bad! A decision I disagree with." This was an outstanding novel.

    I read "The Road to Kandahar" by Lamb back in 1985. My notes say "Sequel to "Guest of Karadak" which appeared a few issues previous. Also stars Daril, the Arab in 1619. He's a 58 year old former warrior, now retired and traveling as a physician. As usual with Lamb, first rate adventure."

    I read the Nason short story back in 1995 and it was one of his WW I comedies.

    ReplyDelete